Sunday, May 6, 2007

Technology and Education.....

What will 5 weeks worth of Educational Blogging look like?

Week 1:
Can blogging be educational? Will education and technology ever find a middle ground? These are types of questions that run through my mind everyday. I'm hoping that through this blog, and through my class (Alternative Learning Environments), that I will be able to find clarification to my questions. Will I find the right answer or the answer that I want to hear? Is there a right answer to any question or just what we want to hear?
Coming from an educational background, I can understand the importance of technology in the classroom. Being a younger educator, I have had the chance to use technology through my studies and more importantly incorporate it in my classroom. I'm here now to find different ways to incorporate technology into the classroom so that students will be prepared for the community they are about to enter.
"For students to thrive in a world enabled by information technology, we must give them the skills to make sense of and use the information that engulfs them. They need to know how to learn new skills as quickly as technology creates new challenges."
I was dumbfounded when I read the above statement. Technology changes everyday and we are forced to keep up. For example, I bought my computer (Apple G5) less than a year ago. As of today, it is out dated! How can that be, the world evolves; technology evolves. If the technology is evolving at such a rapid pace, how can we as educators not evolve our teaching methods? We must for our students to have a fighting chance. The old "drill and kill" methods are no longer acceptable forms of teaching. Student’s education should be geared to their learning styles. Every child learns in a completely different way. If we have the technology to reach these students in a way that is unique as they are, why not use it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.